Saturday, December 19, 2009

Fried Fish With Flowering Chives 韮菜花炒魚片


Flowering chives must be in season now. I keep seeing them everywhere and the price is very agreeable at the moment too. This is something that I grew up with, often spring onions are used when flowering chives are not available. A very simple dish that really relies on the quality of everything you are using including the oyster sauce, I personally prefer Lee Kum Kee classic.(a little pricier but worth every cent of it) This is definitely one of the less is more dish! So don't attempt to add more things to it.
P.S I served this together with prawns in tomato sauce and braised soy and star anise pork a week ago.

serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal;
you'll need;
500g of snapper fillet or any white firm flesh fish, sliced and marinated with dash of soy, dash of sesame oil, white pepper and Chinese wine for 5 minutes.Coated with corn flour just before frying.
1 bunch of flowering chives, cut into 3" length
1 knob of ginger, sliced thinly
1 tbs of cooking oil
3 tbs of oyster sauce
dash of light soy
dash of white pepper
dash of sesame oil
1/2 cup of water
a little cornstarch solution

Fry sliced fish briefly, this prevents the fish from breaking down during the stir frying process.

Fry ginger with cooking oil and dash of sesame oil til fragrant, add in the flowering chives. Fry on high heat for 30 seconds.

Return the fish to the wok, warm through, add the rest of the ingredients and thicken very slightly with cornstarch solution.

Serves hot as for of a Chinese meal.

32 comments:

  1. I saw some flowering chives in the shop, was just about to ask you how do I use them :) This looks great, I like how simple the dish is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you cook your fish, a very delightfull recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't find the flowering chives here...my mum used to stir-fry the chicken or pork with them for the lunch. Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with the spring onion and ginger version, must try with flowering chives next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this beautiful vegetable but have had no idea what to do with them, this looks so simple and delicious, which is Lee Kum Kee classic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. BIBI,
    Thanks :) it is great with seafood, so calamari and scallops will work well too.

    chapot,
    Thank you :)

    Angie,
    Sounds delicious! Do you have any Asian shops where you are?

    Ming,
    This is such wonderful vegetable so give it a try.

    love to eat,
    Haha now you know :) so give it a try ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ta recette est magnifique et de très belles photos
    bon week-end

    ReplyDelete
  8. ta recette est magnifique et de très belles photos
    bon week-end

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got back from work party, shouldn't have visited your blog! I'm now even hungrier :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. 你的廚房就像個餐廳,每天都有好吃的東西我真的嫉妒!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aux délices des gourmets,
    merci beaucoup!

    KL girl in MELB ,
    Haha must be a lot of fun! Go have some instant noodle :)

    大肥 ,
    如果你想要吃,就不可偷懶啊!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Je n'ai jamais cuisiné de la ciboulette en fleurs. La combinaison ciboulette/ poisson me plait beaucoup. Je note ta recette.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saveurs et Gourmandises ,
    merci beaucoup! Ceci est la ciboulette chinoise, vous pourriez être capable de les amener à Chinatown.

    ReplyDelete
  14. S, this is what we eat at the Chinese restaurant right? Are you going to post the twice cooked pork belly soon? We are having someone over on Tuesday night :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh...I am late today. Any more to share for my supper...hahaa..

    ReplyDelete
  16. delightful..to say the least

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow..everyday you have an exciting dish to share..Don't know when I'll finish trying all of them out :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just a tasteful meal!. I have to try it out.
    I love chinese food!.I had chicken with soy sauce yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi this dish is easy quick and marvelous to do so thanks you for the sharing !!cheers from cold Paris Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh wow this looks divine i bet the chives my all the difference, I should grow them, love it Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vijay,
    You are right! I'll post it later today, so a pre X'mas dinner?

    Anncoo,
    Oh a little late indeed, all gone :)

    S,
    Thank you :)

    Gulmohar,
    Thanks! You will finish mine when I'm done with yours :)

    Betty,
    Oh you must! I heard there is a market run by Chinese in Athens?

    pierre,
    Thank you! Please keep warm!

    Rebecca,
    Thanks! :) It is a really wonderful vegetable so try grow some :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks very delicious. My family would really love that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll be making this tomorrow, something light and easy is what I need before the endless feasting haha.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really don't know much cooking about chinese food but only a few basic one. I just enjoyed looking at the way you prepared your food.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous dish! I just love checking out your recipes! Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love chives.. cumi likes it to..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary,'please do try :)

    harriet,
    good let me know how it turns out!

    kothiyavunu,
    chinese cooking is so simple, i'll be very pleased to help u

    Lyndsey,
    Thank you , I'm glad you are finding it useful :)

    CUMI & CIK,
    Good cant wait til we eat together :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love fish and any dish made with it. I think I'll show this to my mom and ask her to make me this. It sure looks yummy, yummier and the yummiest!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ekanthapadhikan,
    I bet she would be great, so which blog shall i follow?

    MrsLavendula ,
    thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. THis is a nice dish!! I love chives!! so hungry now.. :( dinner in process...

    ReplyDelete
  31. mycookinghut,
    Thank you, can you get flowering chives in London?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin