Monday, December 7, 2009

Kari Ayam 咖喱雞 Malaysian Chicken Curry


Oh there is nothing like a good chicken curry!! I am of course talking about a good Malaysian chicken curry!! I still remember very vividly going to the wet market (not my favourite place to be because of the forever wet floor!) with the ladies of the household; chickens are choosen to be slaughtered, spices are picked from the spice seller and freshly squeezed coconut milk are bought from a coconut milk vendor (yes there are such vendors :)) just for this one dish alone. I am forever too lazy to grate and squeeze my own coconut milk at home but thank god there are always some very trusted friends in the pantry. (Ayam brand coconut milk and cream)
I must have made this so many times that it takes me no time to prepare at all, so when I'm too lazy to cook I often would make this dish, the best thing is my friends are forever so impressed thinking I have slaved myself all day in the kitchen cooking it!!:) Opps! the secret is out!!
P.S Our curry dinner as part of the Malaysian week last week, it was served with fried kangkong and a quick cucumber, onion and pineapple pickle.

serves 6 as part of a Malaysian meal
for the curry paste you'll need;
10 shallots, chopped
12 dried chilies, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes and chopped
5 red chilies, chopped
10 cloves of garlic, chopped
a knob of ginger, chopped
a knob of galangal, chopped
a knob of turmeric, chopped
10 candle nuts or brazil nut, chopped
1 lemongrass, chopped (white part only)
small piece of shrimp paste, toasted
4 tbs of Malaysian meat curry paste (I used Burung Nuri brand) made into a paste with some water
Blend everything into a course paste (except the curry paste)

you'll also need;
1 x 1.5kg organic chicken, cut into 16 pieces
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large tomato, cut into chunks
12 curry leaves
2 star anise
400 ml of coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste

potatoes are cut into chunks, set aside.

Fry wet spices till soften then add the curry paste and continue to fry til oil separate. Add chicken and fry chicken in the curry paste for about 5 minutes, add curry leaves and star anise.

Add coconut milk and simmer for 20 minutes, potatoes can be added after that and continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes.

Chuck in the cut tomatoes and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, check for seasoning.

Serve hot with plenty of hot rice or just plain old white bread or some roti chanai!! Sometimes I even make roti jala to go with this.

36 comments:

  1. Harriet from CarltonDecember 7, 2009 at 2:40 AM

    Wow looks yummy! Glad you are making more curry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CURRY CURRY 我爱你! This curry chicken looks so SHIOK ! Curry is my forever and ever dish

    ReplyDelete
  3. How true! Nothing beats a good curry dish! I love curry chicken too and the left-over (if any) are perfect as a filling for the curry pans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, do you know that I like making chicken curry too? I'll try your recipe this xmas, cooking for Ant and my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeas...a real real hearty curry dish..I am craving one now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love story about taking the trip to the wet market...Selecting the chicken to be slaughtered, really that fresh? Wow, I think that is so cool.
    I love curry dishes. Yours looks so amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yeah thats what I am talking about curry where the roti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Harriet! we always must have curry!

    Thanks Pearlyn! i totally agree with you!

    Oh Angie it is so much better the next day too.

    yes i know Kenny, that is very sweet!!

    Thanks Jhonny!! make some!!

    Thanks Velva, people still do that back home. you must try this :)

    Thanks Rebecca ! i was too lazy to make the roti :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is a good looking curry, I hate curry without the layer of oil on top haha! Hve you started cooking yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another yummy dish and you r making me homesick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mary! It needs the oil i can't agree more, just get rid of the excess is the key. No not yet :(

    Thanks kl girl! go make a pot of curry now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Curry chicken makes me drooling. I would like eat this with bread sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum yum tum! . my kids favourite...! your looks amazing :))))

    ReplyDelete
  14. the cooked version looks much better than the raw!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Anncoo I had the left over with bread too :)

    Thanks Zurin!!!! My childhood favourite too!

    I think so too CUMI & CIKI!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love a good curry chicken!! Looks very delicious I bet my boys would request for this!! Btw the fish curry was very delicious, definitely worth a trip to Richmond for the ingredients!! Have you started cooking yet??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow the list of ingredients used, bet it is very tasty!! I would like a lot of roti to mop up the gravy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 我爱我爱我爱我爱!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks love to eat!! Absolutely worth the trip!! I'm cooking tonight :)

    Thanks Anu, might seems like a long list but it is worth it!!

    大肥我也愛呀!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never had fresh coconut milk, but it sounds great. I've never made my own curry paste, but it's nice to hear you say it's easy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow this is my favourite curry, love the potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You never ceased to surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Arwen from Hoglet K, fresh coconut taste even better of course and if you have a blender, making your own spice paste is rather easy indeed!

    Thanks Michele! I love how the potatoes soaked up all the gravy too!

    Thanks Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum yum yum! I have to follow this recipe for my next chicken curry!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also didn't like to go to wet market when I was little! I liked to go with my mom so always tried to ask her to wake me up at 6:30 am. However, I ended up telling her.. no I changed my mind.. I wanted to sleep.. LOL
    The scene that you mentioned is exactly like what I remember!
    By the way, which part of Msia are u from?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh thanks vicki!!!!! please do!!

    Mycookinghut, hahaI !!! I think the best part about going to the market was eating all the hawker food as breakfast :)
    I'm from the Cameron Highlands :) our market is not as excited than the Penang ones :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very good looking dish! love your little story telling too!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. 3 hungry tummies,
    I am not from Penang.. from Kedah.. :) Our market is ok la.. not as exciting as Penang I guess.. but it was a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mike,
    Thanks! I talk too much I know :)

    mycookinghut,
    Oh sorry! :) That's why you love Thai food. I bet it was good memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. 3 hungry tummies,
    My hometown is only 30 mins from Bukit Kayu Hitam... so very near to Thailand and we have a Thai village.. so our cooking is influenced by them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh no wonder why!!! I have been to BKH once, it's completely chaotic but with wonderful energy!! I love the local Malay food too, you must share some of the dishes you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi all, do you know where to find candlenut or brazil nut?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lin you can find them in Asian grocery shop.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, how much oil do you need to stir fry the wet spices and curry paste?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin